One of the most important and critical maintenance procedures for cars is changing the oil and filters regularly. The engine contains several moving parts that need to be lubricated for the normal functioning of the vehicle. Overtime, the oil breaks down and becomes contaminated with dirt dust, and debris from the engine and the environment hence hindering the normal functioning of the engine.
The health of your vehicle engine depends greatly on the performance of the oil and filter. Oil circulates in the engine to lubricate engine parts and seal the engine and pistons. At the same time, the waste products of combustion where dirt in the air is sucked into the engine are also transported away. Due to the high operating temperatures in the engine, oil becomes ineffective as a lubricant leading the rapid wear and tear of the engine. Additionally, the oil contains additives to neutralize acids and absorb water and combustion by-products. Used up oil lacks these additives leading to the corrosion of the engine.
While oil and filter change can be done from home, you may end up doing it wrong particularly if you do not have all the necessary tools. All Around Auto Repair ensures that there is a mechanic near me to help with
How often should Oil and Filters be Changed?
There is no definite answer as to the specific time for changing oil and filters in your vehicle. Manufacturers recommend changes to be done at intervals of between 3000 and 10,000 miles. At All Around Auto Repairs, we recommend changing your engine oil and filter every 5000 miles to ensure that your engine lasts as long as possible. Nevertheless, you might be required to change it more often in the following circumstances:
- If you tend to drive erratically with heavy acceleration
- Your engine is old and runs out
- Frequently carry heavy luggage and
- Often drive on off-roads
Importance of Regular Oil and Filter Change
A recent study conducted by the Car Care Council of the Car Care Aware Campaign showed that 22% of the vehicles have low and dirty engines hence the awareness on the need for regular engine oil and filter changes.
- Maintaining Engine lubrication: Pistons, valves, and other parts of the engine create heat and wear down quickly without proper oil lubrication. While planning for an oil and filter change, you can enquire from a mechanic near me on the specific weights and grades of oil that your vehicle requires at its recommended fill volume capacity.
- Cooling engine components: Moving parts without proper lubrication create friction, which in turn creates heat that can damage the engine. Maintaining adequate and clean supplies of oil is the easiest care solutions towards preventing friction and wear and tear of the engine
- Promoting engine longevity: simple and routine maintenance of your engine makes your vehicle last longer. A build-up of dirty oil robs you the economical bit of your vehicle on its power and oil consumption making internal parts work harder than expected. This will shorten the lifespan of your vehicle and decrease its resale value.
- Improves gas mileage: Poor engine lubrication increases fuel consumption. The US Department of Energy highlights the importance of enough and clean engine oil to improve your gas mileage by 1-2% over time. Although this sounds like little improvement, the cost-benefit analysis over the years will have saved you an entire gallon in a year.
At All Around Auto Repair, we provide regular maintenance solutions for any type of car, including recreational vehicles, boats, and motor homes. Search for oil and filter change coupons to get a mechanic near me to ensure your oil is changed by a qualified and professional technician